Interesting records - 2005
Slavonian Grebe (Podiceps auritus)
three individuals were presented at Nurio Lake in Batumi town (Ajara Region, SW Georgia) between 3 and 6 December.
Rare in small numbers winter visitor to Georgia.
Pygmy Cormorant (Phalacrocorax pygmaeus)
about 220 were on 19 January at Jandari Lake, SE Georgia and c500 were at Dalis Reservoir on 21 February; both good counts for this species.
Ferruginous Duck (Aythia nyroca)
- around 30 individuals were observed on 23 April in NE part of Sagamo Lake and at least 22 were watched from southern bank of lake (Javakheti Upland, S Georgia).
Rare breeder and passage visitor on some lakes of Southern Georgia.
Smew (Mergus albellus)
four (3 mails and 1 female) were watched on 23 October at Lisi lake in environs of Tbilisi. Occasional visitor to area.
White-tailed Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla)
a single was presented at Vartsikhe Reservoir, Imereti region on 13 February. Rare winter visitor to area.
Steppe Buzzards (Buteo buteo vulpinus)
33 were recorded in the Kazbegi area and Truso George between 37 May.
Greater Spotted Eagles (Aquila clanga)
four were at Kolkheti National Park on 29 January and are the first to be noted to winter in Georgia for two years and constitutes the 6th or 7th winter records for Georgia.
Imperial Eagle (Aquila heliaca)
three (2 adults and 1 immature) were watched at sub-alpine meadow near Tori village (Borjomi District, Lesser Caucasus) on 26 August. Unusual localition.
Eurasian Hobby (Falco subbuteo)
a single was recorded on 27 October in Mtkvari (Kura) river valley near Akhaltsikhe town (Lesser Caucasus, Southern Georgia), that is very late autumn record.
Merlin (Falco columbarius)
at least four individuals were discovered wintering in Tskneti village, NW environs of Tbilisi City in the middle of December.
Greater Black-headed Gulls (Larus ichthyaetus)
- on 6 February, 41 were at Lake Kumisi, with a record count of 92 there on 9 February and at Lake Jandari 12 were recorded on 13 February. It is possible that bad weather caused them to congregate on Lake Kumisi.
Armenian Gull (Larus armenicus)
at least 8753 individuals were counted on 17 December along banks of Mtkvari (Kura) River within the limits of Tbilisi City, that is remarkable high concentration.
Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis)
a single was in gardens in Rokithi village in Baghdathi district 79 January; this is a rare visitor to the area, last recorded about 25 years ago.
Waxwings (Bombycilla garrulus)
- from the invasion that occurred across western Europe strayed as far as Georgia with the first two small flocks of around 2025 birds each, recorded on 29 January in Rokiti village, Imereti region, Western Georgia. On 4 February a flock of 120150 individuals was watched in a garden in Mtskheta and the biggest flock, consisting of 150200 birds, was watched on 11 February in vineyard near Abisi village.
Northern House-Martin (Delichon urbica)
- single was watched flying in Seaside park of Batumi on 16 October.
Very late autumn record.
Red-rumped Swallows (Hirundo daurica)
- four, or probably five individuals were observed for several minutes on 28 March at Dali reservoir in eastern part of the Iori river valley, SE Georgia and four were seen together on 27 April in Kutaisi, Imereti region, Western Georgia; the 4th and 5th records for Georgia.
Common Redstarts (Phoenicurus phoenicurus samamisicus)
five individuals were recorded between 37 May in the Kazbegi area & Truso George.
Great Grey Shrike (Lanius excubitor)
- a single was watched in Seaside Park of Batumi town (Ajara Region, SW Georgia) on 5 December. Rare in small numbers winter visitor to Georgia. First record to area.
- one was on 26 April in eastern part of Igoeti Upland (2,5 km from Kaspi town, Eastern Georgia). Very late record of wintering species, probably the latest for Georgia and one of the latest for Southern Caucasus.
Rook (Corvus frugilegus)
at least 5442 individuals were counted at collective roosts in the central part of Tbilisi City on 14 December. High concentration.
Great Rosefinches (Carpodacus rubicilla)
- at least nine individuals were recorded between Gudauri and Jvari pass on 7 February; a rare winter location for this species. A flock of 250 was recorded at Kazbegi on 4 May after heavy snowfall.
Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)
four were recorded in Tbilisi Botanical garden on 23 November. Unusual location, first record to site.
SUBMIT YOUR RECORDS
INTERESTING RECORDS OF BIRDS IN GEORGIA BY YEARS
BCUG Web-site: CONTENT
BCUG Web-site: MAIN PAGE